Tuesday, February 19, 2013

1930's Beauty


I had the privilege of quilting a vintage quilt top from the 1930's. The top was in very good condition for the age of the fabrics. There were no frayed fabrics and the top was surprisingly sturdy.

Look at the stitching. I couldnt help but picture the person who stitched them sitting in the evening choosing her fabrics from what she had on hand.


I wondered what her life was like, how different from mine. I imagine it must have been physically harder than ours today. But as many ways our lives were different I bet we had similar hopes and dreams.


Providing the basic needs for our families, wondering what the future would be for our children.  I felt like she and I were spending the day together as I completed what she started so many years ago.

The pattern I chose was geometric in design to complement the quilt top pattern .  I wanted to give the fabrics support so the quilting was close together .


Such a beautiful piece of quilt history 


It was a very special day spent quilting that I dont think I will repeat again soon. I want to thank her in spirit for the opportunity to be a part of her vision.  


It was a long time coming but her vision is finally complete.





3 comments:

  1. How wonderful this top was saved and that you have given it a new life. I share your sentiments about the original quilter!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt and how neat that you are saving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a truly lovely post, thankyou for sharing the vision of someone from long ago.

    ReplyDelete